October 21, 2010 1 Comment
So week 7 is in the books in this amazing 2010 college football season and before I begin I just have to say one thing, Cam Newton IS YOUR 2010 FBS Heisman, Denard who? Kellen who? Martinez who? Yes its Cam whose the best player in the country and leading his Auburn Tigers into title contention; a couple more tough tasks on the way but I’m sure they’ll be fine and nothing wrong with seeing Auburn in the BCS title game, I’m sure the nation would love to watch Cam Newton!
Last week there were a couple surprises, and of course the game I called the “hangover” game for the Gamecocks; fresh off beating the previous #1 ranked team Alabama I knew they’d have their hands full with the Kentucky Wildcats and I thought they could pull out the victory but I was wrong, they fell short by 3 points. Kentucky won that game in the 2nd half as they outscored the Gamecocks 21-0 when it looked like South Carolina was going to roll thru them, Garcia was on fire in the 1st half. The Georgia Bulldogs put the beatdown on Vandy as they crushed them at home 43 to 0 and All-American WR AJ Green only had 3receptions? With that blowout Bulldogs didn’t need Murray to pass much and just keep pounding the ball. The freebie of the week LSU welcomes McNeese State to town and took care of business, not as expected but a win is a win; could you imagine if they lost this game? My kudos points goes to Mississippi State holding Florida to 7 points in their own backyard; yeah I say that’s domination at its finest, do you think the Gator Nation misses one Tim Tebow? Alabama hung on to beat Ole Miss in a game where I figured they’d take their frustration out on Ole Miss being that they just lost their #1 ranking and Ingram and Richardson were contained once again; they’re still in the hunt for the BCS title game but will have to be impressive down the stretch and also faces Auburn still. Lastly, the game of the day in the SEC was between the Auburn Tigers and the Arkansas Razorbacks who turned in what was suppose to be a football game into a college basketball score. Cam Newton was amazing, Auburn defense took out Mallett and can anyone contain Newton? Cam Newton took this game over and never looked back as the Tigers beat the Razorbacks 65 to 43, crazy!
SEC POWER RANKINGS
- 1. Auburn
- 2. Alabama
- 3. LSU
- 4. South Carolina
- 5. Georgia
- 6. Mississippi State
- 7. Florida
- 8. Arkansas
- 9. Kentucky
- 10. Ole Miss
- 11. Vandy
- 12. Tennessee
WEEK 7 STANDOUT PLAYERS
- GEORGIA – QB – AARON MURRAY – 15/24 287yards 2tds
- GEORGIA – RB – WASHAUN EALEY – 17car 123yards 1td
- GEORGIA – WR – KRIS DURHAM – 4rec 112yds 1td
- ARKANSAS – QB – TYLER WILSON – 25/34 332yds 4tds 2int
- ARKANSAS – WR – GREG CHILDS – 9rec 164yds 2td
- AUBURN – QB – CAM NEWTON – 10/14 140yds 1td 25car 188yds 3tds
- SOUTH CAROLINA – RB – MARCUS LATTIMORE – 15car 79yds 2td 4rec 133yds 1td
- SOUTH CAROLINA – QB – STEPHEN GARCIA – 20/32 382yds 2td 2int
- KENTUCKY – QB – MIKE HARTLINE – 32/42 349yds 4tds
- KENTUCKY – WR – CHRIS MATTHEWS – 12rec 177yds 1td
- LSU – RB – MICHAEL FORD – 10car 86yds 2tds
- ALABAMA – QB – GREG MCELROY – 17/25 219yds 2td
- ALABAMA – RB – TRENT RICHARDSON 11car 45yds 5rec 101yds 1td
A LOOK INTO WHAT TO EXPECT IN WEEK 8
OLE MISS @ (21) ARKANSAS – Unsure if Mallett will play in this game, backup Wilson should take over as he did quite nice against Auburn last week; and faces a much weaker opponent this week in Ole Miss. Look for Childs to have another monster game and the Razorbacks to bounce back in the win column in this one as their at home.
OLE MISS – 13 @ ARKANSAS – 34
(6) LSU @ (5) AUBURN – The battle of the Tigers and by far the game of the week for the SEC as well in college football in general. One of them is going to end up with their 1st lost on the season; and I bet you it’ll be a tiger. Joke aside; Auburn is at home, Cam Newton is playing on another level and I’m confident the defense will show up in this game. This could turn out into a high scoring game though; but Lee and Ford and company from LSU will fall short.
(6) LSU – 27 @ (5) AUBURN – 47
(19) SOUTH CAROLINA @ VANDY – What an up and down past couple of weeks for the Gamecocks, first they upset Alabama then ended up coming up short to Kentucky. They now take their travels to Vandy where they’re just coming off a shutout they got handed to them from the Georgia Bulldogs. Lets hope they can find their offense in this game but I expect a bounce back game from Spurrier’s school; Garcia continues to have a great year and will do so in this one as he has the SEC’s best WR in Jeffrey.
(19) SOUTH CAROLINA – 33 @ VANDY – 10
(7) ALABAMA @ TENNESSEE – Alabama travels to Volunteer Avenue to take on Tennessee as they’re 0-3 in SEC play and will more so likely be 0-4. Both RB’s Ingram and Richardson look to get back on track coming off back-to-back disastrous weeks after starting off the season hot. McElroy and Julio Jones will continue their play in the passing game that Tennessee can only hope to stop; chalk up another win for Alabama.
(7) ALABAMA – 41 @ TENNESSEE – 21
UAB @ (24) MISSISSPPI STATE – newly ranked Mississippi State welcomes UAB to their home stadium fresh off their upset of the Flordia Gators. Last weeks game was nothing exciting, and UAB can put up some points if Mississppi State allows them too. This is the freebie of the week as I expect the Bulldogs to take this one with ease.
UAB – 13 @ MISSISSIPPI STATE – 31
GEORGIA @ KENTUCKY – I think this game will be a great match-up, both high scoring offenses, both filled with playmakers with the likes of Murray, Ealey, Green, and Cobb. Cobb will be a handful for the Bulldogs to contain and Hartline is coming off a great game last week against South Carolina so I hope we see more of the same, but in this game AJ Green dominants. He only put up 3 receptions last week, I say he goes for at least 8 receptions in this one to clearly state he’s the nations best WR. Georgia Bulldogs continue their winning streak and take charge!
GEORGIA – 42 @ KENTUCKY – 34
Written by Brandon “BEE” Salamat. Follow him on Twitter @TruGentleman808.