November 17, 2010 Leave a comment
Big 12 Title Game Talk
This has been a strange and ever changing season in the Big 12. The South is flipped upside down from what every “expert” predicted and the North, well it’s the North. It’s almost certain that Nebraska will face Oklahoma State in the Big 12 Title game, a rematch of the October 23 battle which Nebraska won. There are some scenarios that involve other teams in the Big 12 Championship game though.
The North is a two team race. Nebraska heads to Kyle Field this weekend for a game with the red hot Texas A&M Aggies, which they very well could lose. The Huskers then face the Colorado Buffaloes, rivalry games bring out the best in teams. For Nebraska to lose their spot in the Title game, they have to lose both of these games and Missouri has to win their final 2. Missouri has to travel to Ames, IA this weekend for a battle with the Cyclones, then to Kansas City, MO for the Jayhawks. I hope it comes down to that game for Mizzou, but I seriously doubt it.
The South is still a little more open than the North. Oklahoma State has a one game lead over Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but they hold the tie breaker over the Aggies. The Cowboys need to beat the Sooners in two weeks and they represent the South, simple as that. OSU faces the Jayhawks this Saturday in Lawrence, KS, which should be an easy victory. Oklahoma needs to win out and they are in the title game again. Texas A&M needs some help. The Aggies need to win out and get the Sooners to beat the Cowboys. Baylor is officially eliminated from the race, but they are still fun to watch.
The Big 12 Top to Bottom
1. Oklahoma State Cowboys (9-1) Big 12 record 5-1 Should put up 50 against the Jayhawks.
2. Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-1) Big 12 record 5-1 Face a very hot Texas A&M team, hopefully they are ready to play.
3. Missouri Tigers (8-2) Big 12 record 4-2 Always struggle in Ames, will this year be any different?
4. Texas A&M Aggies (7-3) Big 12 record 4-2 Can they slow down the Husker rushing attack, if so the Aggies win.
5. Oklahoma Sooners (8-2) Big 12 record 4-2 Heading to Waco for a battle with the Bears will be tough.
6. Baylor Bears(7-3) Big 12 record 4-3 Can RG3 run all over the Sooners D?
7. Kansas State Wildcats (6-4) Big 12 record 4-3 Head to Boulder, CO after a mistake filled loss to Mizzou.
8. Iowa State Cyclones (5-6) Big 12 record 3-4 Can they pull of the upset and ruin the Tigers chances?
9. Texas Longhorns (4-6) Big 12 record 2-5 This team is horrible, will they struggle with FAU this weekend?
10. Texas Tech Red Raiders (5-5) Big 12 record 3-5 They play Weber St this weekend, wherever that is.
11. Kansas Jayhawks (3-7) Big 12 record 1-5 The Jayhawks need to slow down the Cowboys offense, they do that and who knows what’ll happen.
12. Colorado Buffaloes (4-6) Big 12 record 1-5 The Buffs beat the Cyclones last week and get a similar offering this week from KState.
Top Big 12 Performances: Week 11
Cyrus Gray RB Texas A&M Ran like an animal, scoring 4 TD’s in the process. One of the reasons the Aggies pulled out the win.
Brandon Weeden QB Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State This connection has done it all year and it didn’t stop in the Texas game.
Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri Looked great running and passing the ball. He looked comfortable in the pocket.
Aldon & Jacquies Smith DE Missouri This duo wreaked havoc on the KSU QB last week and combined for a sack/strip and fumble return for a TD.
Landry Jones QB Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma These 2 could match the Weeden/Blackmon combo, if they continue on the pace they are on.
Cody Hawkins QB Colorado His dad just got fired and he had a great game. He deserves a little credit.
Week 12 Picks
Oklahoma State @ Kansas- The Cowboys have too much offense and the Jayhawks don’t have enough for this game to be close. I’ll take Okie State 52-20.
Kansas State @ Colorado- The inconsistency of each of these teams drives me crazy. I think the Wildcats have a few less, so I will take K-State 33-23.
Weber State @ Texas Tech- I’m not wasting my time with this one, TTU wins 45-13.
Florida Atlantic @ Texas- Texas is fighting for a bowl appearance, they inch closer with a win here, I’ll take Texas 39-13.
Missouri @ Iowa State Jack Trice has been a tough place for Mizzou, but I like Gabbert to lead the Tigers. Give me MU 35-24.
Oklahoma @ Baylor This will be a fun game full of playmakers, I like the Sooners 40-31.
Nebraska @ Texas A&M Tannehill has been a blessing at QB for the Aggies, but the TAMU D and running game will win this one. A&M wins 24-20.
Big 12 Bowl Projections
Insight Penn State vs Oklahoma This would be a dream matchup for the Insight Bowl and a pretty entertaining game.
Texas Baylor vs Michigan Denard Robinson and Robert Griffin III in the same game? The stadium might implode due to awesomeness!!
Alamo Missouri vs Arizona This game would be entertaining. Two great offenses led by two great QB’s.
Pinstripe Kansas State vs West Virginia Daniel Thomas and Noel Divine, the only reasons I would watch. Each team has a great grandpa for a coach as well.
Holiday Texas A&M vs Oregon State I love this game. Fun offenses and each team has a first rounder on defense. I’d watch!
Dallas Football Classic Northwestern vs Texas Tech I like the Northwestern QB and TTU RB Baron Batch, but other than that this game is boring.
Cotton Nebraska vs Alabama Big time matchup! Nebraska is pissed after losing to the Cowboys in the Big 12 Title game. Alabama says bring it.
Fiesta Oklahoma State vs Pitt Oklahoma State would roll the Pitt Panthers. The Cowboys have too many weapons on offense for Pitt to keep it close.
Written by Jason Madson. Follow on Twitter @I_AM_JMAD.