October 28, 2010 Leave a comment
Around the ACC:
The ACC is ranked seventh in the latest ESPN Conference power rankings behind the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, MWC and WAC…..Something will have to give in the Florida State vs NC State matchup. The FSU defense surrenders an average of only 16.1points per game but will be tested by QB Russell Wilson and a Wolfpack offense that averages 36 points per game. Wilson has accounted for 76 career touchdowns….Florida State QB Christian Ponder busted the bursa sac in his right elbow in the win over Boston College on Oct. 16 and missed three practices a week ago during FSU’s bye week…..Florida States first year head coach Jimbo Fisher has put himself in some very select company by winning his first four ACC games. Only four other coaches have done this previously. Former Maryland and Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Ross won his first five league games as head coach at Maryland in 1982 and Maryland’s Ralph Friedgen (2001), Duke’s Fred Goldsmith (1994) and Boston College’s Jeff Jagodzinski (2007) each won the first four ACC games of their head coaching careers. No coach has ever won his first six ACC games. When Florida State senior G Rodney Hudson was named ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week last week he earned the eighth Offensive Lineman of the Week honor of his career…..Georgia Tech led the nation in third-down conversions last season. This year they are sixth in the ACC. Tech QB Joshua Nesbitt is only 44 yards from the ACC career rushing record for quarterbacks but was held to only two rushing yards vs. Clemson…..There is a chance that Miami’s impressive freshman OT Seantrel Henderson will move from right tackle to left tackle in place of the injured Orlando Franklin…..Virginia brings a nine game conference losing streak into this week’s home game vs. Miami….Following last week’s 24-21 loss to Maryland, Boston College sits at 2-5 overall and is staring directly at the possibility of its first losing season since 1998…..Maryland redshirt freshman Pete DeSouza was hospitalized in intensive care after a breaking two bones in both legs last Thursday in a scooter accident near Cole Fieldhouse. DeSouza underwent a 12-hour surgery on Friday….Dukes current six game losing streak matches their longest under Head Coach David Cutcliffe.
Blind Squirrels ACC picks:
Clemson (4-3) at Boston College (2-5): Is Andre Ellington the NFL back from Clemson?
My pick: Clemson 27 Boston College 21
Miami (5-2) at Virginia (3-4): The conference losing streak grows to ten games for Virginia.
My pick: Miami 31 Virginia 17
Duke (1-6) at Navy(5-2): Navy runs their option offense as well as any team in the country. Just ask Notre Dame.
My pick: Navy 38 Duke 10
Wake Forest (2-5) at Maryland (5-2): Jim Grobe may start as many as five freshman for Wake Forest this week. Terps need this win to become bowl eligible.
My pick: Maryland 35 Wake Forest 14
William and Mary (6-1) at North Carolina (4-3): UNC had a four game winning streak snapped last week vs Miami. They’ll get back on track this week.
My pick: UNC 38 William and Mary 17
ACC Power rankings:
1. Florida State (6-1, 4-0) Christina Ponder used the bye week to get healthy.
2. Virginia Tech (6-2, 4-0) Is playing Duke the week before and official bye week actually two consecutive bye weeks?
3. Miami (5-2, 3-1) No major tests on the horizon until Nov. 20 vs Virginia Tech
4. NC State (5-2, 2-1) Huge contest this Thursday vs FSU
5. Clemson (4-3,2-2) They appear to have righted the ship with two straight wins but NC St and FSU loom on the horizon.
6. Maryland (5-2, 2-1) First road win for the Terps since 2008 last week.
7. Georgia Tech (5-3, 3-2) Things aren’t good when the Tech running game is struggling.
8. North Carolina (4-3,2-2) Not good last week offensively or defensively.
9. Wake Forest (2-5, 1-3) Currently on a five game losing streak. Only BCS win was vs Duke in week two.
10. Virginia (3-4, 0-3) Got their first BCS win last week vs Eastern Michigan.
11. Boston College (2-4, 0-4) Also on a five game losing streak with no BCS wins this season.
12. Duke (1-6, 0-4) Only win was in the opener vs Elon. There are a couple of possible wins on the horizon vs UVA or BC.
Written by John Huber. Follow him on Twitter @Fort80.